Tuesday, December 23, 2008


We've had some technical difficulties the last few days with the computers and camera but I think we have it figured out now, I've missed sharing our daily work, and we have done a ton of fun things in the last few days!
This is a project done a few days ago. The children were working on making oat dough, similar to play dough but made with oats rather than salt. I put the children into two groups and gave them a chalk board with steps individually drawn out one after the other. I then showed the children all of the ingredients and we named them and pointed to the picture of the ingredient on the individual chalk boards. After that I let them at it! The children loved the independence of doing a dough project on their own without my help it was a great self esteem and team work builder. I believe this is the absolute best way to teach young children. They learn best through hands on experiences and they are 100% engaged, which means that months later they retain the information and skills they learned from projects like this. These projects mean much more to the children than simply reading a book about making dough or watching an adult make the dough for them.
Just by doing this simple project the children learned
science skills (mixing ingredients)
math skills (measuring ingredients)
social skills (taking turns and sharing the responsibilities)
reading (following the recipe in order from top to bottom)

When the dough was made the children were free to play with it however they wished. Some rolled it flat while others made creatures or snowmen or many tiny snow balls. It was quite different from playing with other kinds of dough, more texture and pretty dry so it was interesting to see what they did with it! This was a truly fun project for me too! I really enjoy watching the children work together, and they work together incredibly well.

No comments: