We don't always have this many activities going on in our classroom, sometimes we only have one and sometimes we have a few. Today the children were really into their work, and really had a wonderful time doing activities quietly. Most of our classroom activities actually come from real kindergarten curriculum's (mostly Montessori) some activities even come from Waldorf preschool- first grade activities. For this reason we don't worry if the Acorn's don't seem to be understanding the material or aren't interested in learning it. They have plenty of time to work on activities and the last thing we would want for them is to become over-worked or pushed too hard academically to the point where it becomes boring. We have the option of reading books or quietly playing with the toys as well as working on the activities. Miel, Kennedy, and Ronan are very interested in doing ALL of the activities and keep up really well with all of it! I'm incredibly surprised with those three. Milan, Jackie, Elia and AJ are hit and miss. Sometimes they'll become very interested in an activity and will work on it for a long time and other times they just have no interest. AJ and Milan have been sorting the wooden eggs and lining them up at free play time. I think they're working on some early math skills! Beginning counting, organizing and sorting.
Since many of the Oak Tree's will be going to kindergarten in just a few months I've been taking note of what they should work in terms of academic work as well as social or behavioral work. They really are all wonderful in all area's and I feel that each one of them will get along wonderfully in their new kindergarten class this fall. We will miss them terribly though!
If you have something specific you want me to work on individually with your child please let me know and I'll do the same if I see an area that needs some more individual attention at home. I have actually found it hard to assess each child academically because each child is WAY beyond the"preschool academic assessments" I have found. Like I said we have basically been working with a kindergarten curriculum with the Oak Tree's and they whip through the activities with ease no matter what subject we are studying.
Our lunch menu was scrambled eggs, carrot sticks, crackers, banana and milk. The children each got to eat a small candy egg if they had finished their healthy food first.
For snack we are having cinnamon toast and milk.
1 comment:
WOW! You have a smart group of students! You should be proud of yourself for helping so many be 'kindergarten' ready! A big congrats to the parents too as so many students are entering school so far behind. What an advantage they will have entering with such confidence in their abilities! I love reading about your days. Keep up the good work!
Love, MOM
Post a Comment