Thursday, May 7, 2009

World AIDS Orphans Day





What an amazing day! Our friends from Amy's Daycare and Erin's Little Tykes Daycare joined us for our "Kids Walking Kids Home Walk" to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS orphans around the world and to raise funds to support the adoption of an HIV+ child. The children really knew what they were walking for and enjoyed holding their signs and their little red bucket. We ended up collecting another $97.00 this afternoon which brings the grand total raised to
$847.00

This is HUGE!!!!! I never dreamed we would raise that much money! I actually really debated on doing this walk at all. I'm not a person that asks for money from people EVER and I wasn't sure I wanted to add something else to my "to do" list but I'm so glad that we did this. The children had a lot of fun and learned about compassion and love at the same time. They felt really empowered by the big group of kids walking together, and they really felt as if they were completing a huge task and helping many children like themselves that need help. I'm so proud of them for being so thoughtful.
Did you realize that there are 143 million orphans in the world today? The number often overwhelms me as I wonder what I can do to help the situation. Today I was shown that there are many people out there that are willing to carry that burden along with me. It is no small thing to choose to walk alongside the worlds most vulnerable. Thank you so much for choosing to walk alongside us and allowing your children to be involved in this mission. I assure you, it makes a huge difference to the orphaned children of the world- just look at Elia. Once a sad, lonely little girl, now the most loving and joyful girl in the world. Thank you all so much!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for everything you bring to the care of children close and far. When Isaiah told me about the lemonade stand, he said they were raising money to buy parents for the children who don't have any parents.