Wednesday, July 8, 2009

We saw the coolest thing this evening! Ryan was moving the logs of the balance beam because we're rearranging our yard a little bit and suddenly he saw a large group of ant larvae and ants! The ants worked incredibly quickly as a team to move the larvae to safety- quite the safety evacuation plan! It took the ants only a few minutes to move all of their larvae to safety underground. It was really quite amazing!
Here is a quick video we took- it isn't very clear- but since we've been learning about the life cycle of an ant I figured we should document the real life event!

Ask the children the stages of the ant life cycle- they know all of them along with the life cycle of a butterfly and the life cycle of a ladybug.


And here's another cool little ant moving larvae clip made by someone that has a much cooler camera than I do!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Have I told you about the carnivores Safari ants of Kenya and much of Africa. They'll eat chickens to the bone in a night if the chickens are caged when the ants come through. They travel in large columns, sometimes up to a mile long and a half mile wide. They invaded my house twice while I was in bed - creepy, but thankfully neither me nor my cat were eaten (preventative measure were taken to avoid this). Ants are amazing! Safari ants have bite that's hard to forget!