Friday, April 16, 2010

We don't send as much home as other preschools do, for the most part I believe it's a waste of paper. More often than not those worksheets and scribbled pieces of paper just end up in the garbage. It's NOT that we don't do those things at all, we just try to limit the use of paper and art materials a bit more than others. We use individual chalk boards to practice writing or drawing on and erase them when we're finished. We use the blog to communicate with parents rather than sending home notes everyday about all of the fun things we did today. We use recycled paper for free art time and color on both sides. We are learning, it just comes home in our hearts and heads rather than in our hands.
I found this poem and thought it was perfect! Everything we do is a learning experience for the children.

Nothing in My Bag Today
~Author Unknown~
Today I did math and science, I toasted bread.
I halved and quartered.
I counted, measured, used my eyes, and ears, and head.
I added and subtracted on the way, I used a magnet, blocks, and memory tray.
I learned about a rainbow and how to weigh.
So please don't say, “Anything in your bag today?”
You see I'm sharing as I play.
I learned to listen and speak clearly when I talk,
To wait my turn, and when inside to walk.
To put my thoughts into a phrase,
To guide a crayon through a maze.
To find my name and write it down,
To do it with a smile and not a frown.
To put my painting brush away,
So please don't say,
What, “Nothing in your bag today?”
I've learned about a snail and worm,
Remembered how to take my turn.
I helped a friend when he was stuck,
Learned that water rolls off a duck.
I looked at words from left to right,
Agreed to differ not to fight.
So please don't say,
“Did you only play today?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder of what is really important & how much young children are learning every minute of the day!

Love,
MOM