I'm not sure anyone realizes the amazing relationship the younger children develop with the older children, or the amazing closeness we feel as teachers with each of the children as well. It's something you have to see to understand.
These children truly are siblings of the heart. They love each other and have known each other and been together every weekday for nearly as long as they can remember being alive. They are together during holidays, huge accomplishments (going potty on the potty, or riding a bike with only two wheels!) They take care of each other, worry about each other, and celebrate together!
Ryan and I also have a very unique love for each of the children and their families at First Discoveries. When a family moves or grows too old to come to First Discoveries there is a huge void for a very long time. We miss seeing the children AND the parents everyday. I remember someone saying something like "Now that you're a parent, you must understand the feelings we have for our child" and I thought are you NUTS!? I've been a parent for years before my beautiful daughter joined my life! I've held and bathed your child when they were sick, I've calmed their fears, snuggled them to sleep. My heart has melted as they hugged me good-bye, or drew a picture for me. My heart broke the first time they were left out of play by a group of friends, and the first time they took a bad fall and scraped up their knees. I knew the feelings parents had for their children long before our daughter was born. I felt them too! Although we didn't give birth to these "babies", we understand that biological relationship is the least of what makes a family.
Looking at the pictures above, we hope that everyone else can understand that too.
Ryan and I also have a very unique love for each of the children and their families at First Discoveries. When a family moves or grows too old to come to First Discoveries there is a huge void for a very long time. We miss seeing the children AND the parents everyday. I remember someone saying something like "Now that you're a parent, you must understand the feelings we have for our child" and I thought are you NUTS!? I've been a parent for years before my beautiful daughter joined my life! I've held and bathed your child when they were sick, I've calmed their fears, snuggled them to sleep. My heart has melted as they hugged me good-bye, or drew a picture for me. My heart broke the first time they were left out of play by a group of friends, and the first time they took a bad fall and scraped up their knees. I knew the feelings parents had for their children long before our daughter was born. I felt them too! Although we didn't give birth to these "babies", we understand that biological relationship is the least of what makes a family.
Looking at the pictures above, we hope that everyone else can understand that too.
1 comment:
Oh this post brought tears to my eyes. You are so right! You do not need to give birth or parent a child to have loved, guided & cherished one. A beautiful & wonderful benefit of a good small home daycare provides this kind of loving relationships among the members. Precious! Good post!
Love,
MOM
Post a Comment