Wednesday, November 26, 2008

So Much To Be Thankful For...

The year has turned its circle,
The seasons come and go.
The harvest is all gathered in
And chilly north winds blow.
Orchards have shared their treasures,
The fields, their yellow grain.
So open wide the doorway-Thanksgiving comes again!


What a special day this has been celebrating Thanksgiving. The children really enjoyed all of our activities. We started the morning with free play and reading with Ryan as I finished getting our activities ready.
Our first activity of the day was my personal favorite. I put each child's name on a slip of paper and into a little basket and we went around the group and each chose one name. The instructions were to choose a quiet place in the room and think about the person that you drew. Most of all to think about the reasons that you are thankful for that person. When they were done thinking, they were to draw a picture for that person and I would help them write why that person is so special to them. At first I wasn't sure if this activity was too advanced for the kids. Of course, it wasn't! They were amazing! They really took their time and made their paper very special. When they were all finished we gathered together again. I called each student up one by one and had them tell which name they had drawn, and the reasons they are thankful for that person. Each child was so incredibly proud to show and tell about their project. They truly understood the reasons that they are thankful for their friends! While one child was telling about their picture the child that the drawing was about was just beaming while listening. Arhan was especially impressed that Milan had worked so hard and thought about the special things he loved about Arhan. I really wish I had gotten it on video. I didn't realize how touched all of the children would be by having another child single them out and let them know that they are special and loved. Truly so sweet!

When we were done sharing our special work we sat down at the table and made Turkey hats. The children really loved this activity too! They thought the hats were really funny and wore them the rest of the morning. I took some pictures of the kids with their hats on and then the kids got to sit down and watch a bit of the movie "Brother Bear". I thought it went along with what we had been talking about lately to try to see through another's eyes, feel through another's heart, and discover the meaning of brotherhood. Ryan and I finished up setting the table and making lunch and the kids sat down in awe of their beautiful table and yummy food. Most of all I think they were thrilled with the pumpkin pie that was waiting for them!
For lunch we had chicken, corn, potato's and apples with pumpkin pie for desert. We lit three candles as we held hands and said our mealtime blessing. Then we went around the room and each said one special thing that we were thankful for before we ate. The food must have been pretty good because it was very quiet at the table! I laughed out loud when Tanmay asked us if we had ordered this food from somewhere or made it ourselves. haha! Maybe he was surprised it was so yummy!
After lunch we had music class! The theme of the class was Thanksgiving too, so we sang songs about Turkeys and giving thanks as we danced with silks, played different instruments, and used rhythm sticks. When music class was over we told Ms. Carol to have a happy thanksgiving and we got out our nap mats, read our chapter of Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in her pocket, and went to sleep!

This Thanksgiving I'm Thankful for:

Elia- This is Elia's first Thanksgiving since joining our family so it's extra special this year! Elia is sweet baby of our class. She has helped the other kids become more loving, caring, and gentle. She has taught them to love and care for others. She brings pure joy and pure frustration to our group everyday as she hugs and kisses us, rubs her friends gently on the head, knocks over block towers, tears books, and eats crayons. We love her little toddler ways.

Anna- The mother hen of the group. ALWAYS willing to do a job for me or anyone else that asks. She takes care of others before herself. She is always very kind and loving.

Annie- Love. This girl is just plain love. She loves her friends dearly. She loves the activities we do dearly and she just shines with love everyday.

Arhan- Arhan brings creativity to everything he does. He often sees things differently than I do- which is awesome. He has a unique outlook and is incredibly talented.

Isaiah- His happy energy is delightful. He's always willing to jump in and try new things. He is a very sweet boy.

Kane- Kane brings imagination to the group. He can be a real leader at free play time setting up blocks, or the farm, or dress up clothes. He does it all and enjoys it all! He can make a game out of anything.

Tanmay- The comedian of the group. He always has people laughing. He's definitely not the serious type! He is a good friend to everyone.

Milan- Milan brings action and laughter to our day. He really never stops moving and talking! When Milan is gone we notice! He's always making noise, but it's always happy noise.

Miel- Quiet little mouse Miel. She's pretty go with the flow kind of girl and always happy. She brings a calm sweet happiness to our group.

Shivani- A smile never leaves her face and she's always up for some really goofy fun. I can't think of a day that Shivani has ever been unhappy. She's another one that brings plenty of noise to our group in the form of laughter and stories. The goofier the better for Shivi.

I can't imagine our class without these kids. They make each day fun and exciting.

1 comment:

blissbelly said...

It brings tears of sweetness to my eyes. I am thankful for the little family you nourish each day and the love you share with all the children.